Life has a way of gathering momentum all at once, stacking the most profound milestones of joy right alongside the heavy weight of grief. Right now, as everything in my world finally begins to feel whole, I simultaneously feel like I am falling apart at the seams. My wife is from Brazil, and after so much anticipation, distance, and waiting, the time when we can finally be together under one roof is drawing near. There are still a few final hurdles standing in our path, but the horizon is clear enough to know that our real life together is arriving very soon.
To prepare for her arrival and for this next chapter, I am getting closer to buying a home, ready to pour my energy into creating a place that is warm, welcoming, and ready for my bride. The excitement of building that sanctuary with her is immense, but so is the quiet anxiety of the massive changes on the horizon. Moving forward means stepping away from the only home I have ever truly known. Leaving that space behind, knowing it will soon be sold and belong to someone else, pulls at roots that run deeper than I realized.
Compounding all of this transition is a grief that continues to linger and weigh heavily on my spirit. Healing from the loss of my mom has been a slow, painful process, and lately, it feels like I am struggling with it more than ever. It is strange to stand in a moment where your future is opening up so beautifully, while simultaneously carrying a heart shattered by loss and memory. The path ahead is visible, and I can clearly picture the life I want to build and the love I want to fill it with, but navigating the emotional terrain to get there feels overwhelming. I am learning to hold both the sorrow and the anticipation at once, trusting that taking it one single day at a time will eventually bring me to where I need to be.In the middle of all this noise, I keep finding myself coming back to a single promise: "Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland." It reads like a gentle map for anyone standing in the middle of a massive life shift.
Anchoring myself in that promise gives me permission to let go of the need to have every single detail mapped out. I don't need to know how every step of the logistics will unfold, or exactly when the weight in my chest will lighten. All I need to do is keep taking the next step toward the life being prepared for us. The new thing is already springing up, built into every colored wall I think about choosing, every floor plan I look at, and every conversation about our future together. The road through the wilderness is being built one day at a time, and I am ready to walk it.
When you are standing at the edge of the unknown, surrounded by the wreckage of grief and the sheer magnitude of incoming change, trying to hold the steering wheel with a white-knuckle grip only exhausts you. Realizing that God is active in leading our steps changes the entire nature of the journey. It shifts the burden from "How do I make all of this happen on my own strength?" to "How do I trust the One who has already gone ahead of me?"
Looking back, I can see His hand present in the moments that brought my wife and me together despite thousands of miles, language barriers, and endless paperwork. That same faithful hand that orchestrated our meeting is the one guiding us into this house, bringing closure to the old seasons, and walking alongside me in my grief. Trusting His guidance doesn't mean the road will be entirely smooth or free of pain, but it guarantees that none of the wandering is aimless. Every step, every delay, and even every tear is being woven into a larger story of redemption and hope. I don't have to know every detail of how the story unfolds, because I know the One who holds the pen.
Comments
Post a Comment